The Town of Essex is governed by a council-manager form of government. It has a five-member nonpartisan Selectboard, which is elected at large and serves as the Town's primary legislative body. The Town Selectboard appoint the Town Manager to oversee day-to-day municipal operations, to draft a budget, and to implement and enforce Town policy and legislative initiatives.
The Town Selectboard meetings are held via a hybrid meeting model that utilizes Microsoft Teams. Participants may attend in person at the location indicated on the agenda or remotely. Meeting links can be found at the top of each agenda or by clicking on the calendar event from the Home Page. For further instruction on how to access meetings, please view our tip sheet. Town Selectboard meetings:
- Begin at 6:30 PM
- Typically the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month
- are held at in the main conference room at the Town Offices at 81 Main Street, Essex Junction, Vermont.
Learn more about how to participate in Selectboard meetings by connecting online, calling in, or live-streaming. Visit the Zoom Meetings page.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas, meeting minutes, and Selectboard meeting packets are available by following the links below. The documents are also kept on file at the Town Offices at 81 Main St., and may be viewed upon request.
Submissions for Future Agendas
If you have items for the Selectboard meeting packets or a request to be placed on an agenda, please send your request to Marguerite Ladd at firstname.lastname@example.org or Greg Duggan at email@example.com. To be considered, all submissions and requests must be received by noon on Wednesday before the date of the next scheduled Selectboard meeting.
|Phone Contact||Email Contact|
|Contact all firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Andy Watts, Chair||2023||(802) email@example.com|
|Tracey Delphia, Vice Chair||2024|
|Ethan Lawrence, Clerkfirstname.lastname@example.org|
To ask questions or contact Selectboard members, you may also contact the Town Manager, Greg Duggan at email@example.com or by calling (802) 878-1341.
- General supervision of town affairs, working through the Town Manager.
- Ensure fair and credible planning and zoning process.
- Provide direction.
- Encourage communication among all entities.
- Provide financial and staff support through the preparation of the town budget.
- Insure appointees are qualified.
- Adopt ordinances, town plan and bylaws.
- Authorize permit issuance under interim zoning or during bylaw amendment hearings.
- Approve performance bonds for required public improvements.
- Approve application and hearing fees.
- Accept streets.
- Adopt impact fees and ordinances.
- Appoint and remove the Town Manager and supervise, create, change, and abolish offices, commissions or departments other than the offices, commissions or departments established by charter.
- Appoint the members of all boards, commissions, committees, or similar bodies unless specifically provided otherwise by charter.
- Provide for an independent audit by a registered or certified public accountant.
- Inquire into the conduct of any officer, commission or department and investigate any and all municipal affairs.
- Exercise other power which is granted to the Selectboard by the Statutes of the State of Vermont.
The March 3, 2020 ballot included a question that was posed by a voter-backed petition, asking if the Town charter should be changed to create a six-member Selectboard with three members elected from the Village of Essex Junction and three from outside the Village. Voters passed the proposed change, 4,032 - 2,614. The charter change was sent to the Vermont Secretary of State, Attorney General, and Legislature for consideration.
Read the letter from leadership of House Government Operations relating to the proposed Essex charter change.